The Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons of Utah
Rules for Claiming the Traveling Gavel:
- Brethren attempting to claim the Traveling Gavel must visit the host lodge in possession of the Gavel at a stated meeting (including a tyled table lodge), and must remain for the duration of the meeting. Claiming the Gavel during a degree meeting would be a distraction from the degree.
- Brethren attempting to claim the Traveling Gavel must have at least five brothers from their lodge present to qualify. In case of multiple lodges attempting to claim the Gavel at the same time, the following factors may be considered by the Master:
- number of brothers per lodge in attendance;
- distance traveled; and
- number of officers in attendance.
- The Traveling Gavel cannot leave the jurisdiction of Utah.
- One of the five brothers attempting to claim the Traveling Gavel must be the Master or a Warden of the lodge.
- A brother who is a member of multiple lodges attempting to claim the Traveling Gavel must, in case of a tie, choose one of his lodges to represent.
- If a lodge team meets all requirements, the host lodge must relinquish the Gavel.
- The Traveling Gavel must return to Grand Lodge possession at each Annual Communication.