The Architect of the Building

The Architect of the Building

 

 

Bro. Richard Douglas Lowe was born in Jamestown, North Dakota, August 12, 1927, to Floyd and Enid Lowe,

He spent his childhood growing up in Sterling, Kansas, and Lebanon, Missouri.

Graduating from Lebanon High School, he attended Missouri School of Mines briefly
until enlisting in the U.S. Army; where he serve our country during the Korean War.

Following his service, he was enrolled at Kansas State University, graduating in 1951, with degrees in Architecture and Architectural Engineering.

He was elected to Tau Sigma Delta, honorary architectural fraternity.

Bro. Dick married Diane Alexander, in July, 1952, in Concordia, Kansas. They resided in Topeka, Kansas, where he worked for Williamson Loebsack, Architects.

On a trip to Utah in 1954, Bro. Dick fell in love with Ogden‘s beautiful scenery and natural trails; as well as the close proximity of skiing and sailing.  Soon after that family trip, he moved his small family to Ogden. His internship with local architects continued until “hanging out his shingle” in 1961.

He took his career seriously and worked hard for AIA (American Institute of Architects), serving three terms as Northern Utah Chapter president, followed by president of the Utah Society of AIA.

Always ready to go to work for Ogden, he served on Ogden City Arts and other city committees, bringing in RUDAT city planners, many of whose recommendations have since been implemented.

He also served as president of Ogden Exchange Club, on the Board of the Eccles Art Center and charter member of the Utah Sailing Association.

Bro. Dick was proud of his membership in Weber (Golden Spike) Lodge № 6 F. & A. M. of Utah; as well as his support of our Valley as a Scottish Rite Mason.

The plans for the new Ogden Masonic Temple were drawn up by architect Brother Richard D. Lowe, a member of Weber (Golden Spike) Lodge № 6 F. & A. M. of Utah. The plans were approved for the New Temple on March 29, 1966.

“Architect of the Building,” Brother Richard D. Lowe, invited the Grand Lodge Officers to conduct the ceremony. Most Worshipful Brother Howard E. Dorst, the Grand Master of Masons in Utah, presided over the ceremonies of laying the cornerstone of October 23, 1966.

Grand Lodge opened on the Entered Apprentice Degree at 2:11 p.m. The procession then proceeded to the site, the northeast corner of the building under construction, where the cornerstone was laid with ceremony at 2:30p.m.

The entire Masonic Family has been occupying this amazing gift of Brother Richard D. Lowe, since it he first conceived it in his heart.

In 1975, he and good friend, Ed Case, formed the partnership of Case, Lowe and Hart, Architects and Engineers. The firm enjoys success in designing facilities throughout the western states as well as in Utah.

Locally, the Ogden Masonic Temple and Staker Parson’s Corporate Headquarters were two of Bro. Dick’s favorites.

Retiring in 1997, he found pleasure in pursuing his passions of tennis, skiing, sailing, stained glass design and crafting, and walking his dog, Mindy.

He was a faithful member of The Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd; Ogden’s oldest church, where he served as vestryman, senior warden and lay reader.

Brother Lowe was called up to the Celestial Grand Lodge on November 28, 2011.

The Masons of Utah are truly indebted to this great friend and Brother, for the many contributions he gave to us.

 

    Pillars of the Community   

error: Content on this site is copyrighted. Prior consent and written permission from the owner must be obtained; prior to use.